Thursday, August 6, 2015

Tangelos, cake and some sugar free chocolate cookies


Tangelos, in case you didn't know, are a cross between mandarin (tangarine) and a grapefruit. We don't have a tree but someone that does (and doesn't use the fruit) let us pick some of the ripe fruit. Most of this will probably be juiced, but I do intend to try it in as many dishes as I can. I started off with this lovely citrus loaf. It was really quick and easy to produce and made a nice dense, citrusy, satisfying loaf cake.
Hubby and D both rated it highly so the cake disappeared very quickly!


However, while this cake suited the boys, I am still doing my darndest to steer clear of sugar so it was off the menu for me. Instead I made up some of these fantastic chocolate and sea salt cookies from Nicola at Homegrown Kitchen. These are really good! I will definitely be making these little treats again, perhaps trying some slight modifications - this first batch was made using standard plain white flour but I could test out different flours for the best texture and flavour combinations. I would also like to try almond butter instead of peanut butter.

 Even G ate more than one of these and thought they tasted quite nice! Hooray, success all round this baking day!


3 comments:

angela said...

They sound very yummy indeed. As its only hubby and myself home now. And as I'm watching what I eat, I haven't been baking as much as I used too. But I really love the sound of the citrus cake/bread. I just might have to make one xx

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Angela, yes I've been doing a lot less baking lately too. Can highly recommend the sugar free chocolate cookies if you are watching your weight. They use dates to sweeten them. :-)

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Patrick
Glad you found something of interest. Nicola's blog Homegrown Kitchen has some other really good sugar-free or low sugar baking ideas and she also runs cooking classes (sadly I have not yet been able to attend one!).
Best wishes

Bridget