Friday, December 26, 2014

Season's greetings


Season's greetings to everyone, hope you had a lovely day. It's always a bit of a rush in the build up to Xmas day, especially here in NZ as it coincides with Summer and school holidays. We had a really nice day with family, the weather was warm and overcast and it was pleasant to sit outside on the deck without cooking in the hot sun!


I successfully made a gingerbread house this year. It took quite a bit of time but I did it in stages - baking the gingerbread (cutting out the parts of the house with special cutters) then I froze the cooked gingerbread, before icing it closer to Xmas day.



I will now share a photo of my first attempt at a gingerbread house from last year. You will see just how truely awful it was.....!!!


Some things I learned since are to use my usual gingerbread recipe, not the one I found online containing molasses which no one liked! Ice the house pieces first before assembling, and use the correct sort of icing - royal icing - which is icing sugar, egg whites and creme of tartar. Lastly, put the house together in stages so that the joins are dry and it can withstand the weight of the roof.

Anyway I was pleased with the outcome, will do it again next year. D enjoyed helping me with the icing so it was a lot of fun.



2 comments:

BLD in MT said...

Excellent and merry Christmas to all of you. Gotta start somewhere, right? This year looks very nice. Practice, practice, practice.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Thanks. Merry Xmas to you both also. Have not been reading any blogs for a few days, need time to catch up.
Yes indeed - practice is the word!!!