Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blackberry time






This year we are very lucky to have found a good source of wild blackberries on the farm. In past years we've had to go walkabout to find them, often not too far afield, but further away than our own property. So yesterday afternoon we went out armed with containers and picked a whole lot, not stopping until the sun went down and the light failed us. We enjoyed a fabulous sunset.



There are still more left to pick but as it was raining (well drizzling) today we didn't get to go back for them.

Meanwhile, the close to 4kgs of blackberries we picked yesterday are now frozen awaiting to be added to pies etc.

Sometime very soon I shall be boiling up fruit to make jam. We have an abundance of peaches, plums and now blackberries! Now where did I put all my spare jam jars?!...




11 comments:

Ailsa said...

Oh yum! Must start looking for some wild blackberries close by. Definitely none on our property unfortunately apart from the remnants of the thornless one the goats ate!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Good luck finding some. Yes I heard goats will eat everything! :-)

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

You are doing well with your harvests lately! I have a boysenberry bush but most of the berries shrivelled up before I got to harvest them. I did well off my raspberries though. And I have a basket full of green apples to deal with after the wind blew a laden branch off my tree!

Charlotte Scott said...

Oh yum! Picking blackberries was a huge part of my childhood summers and autumns. I haven't spotted any wild bushes around here, the farmers get to them too quick.

Ockduspock said...

Those berries are spectacular! I'm really very jealous :)

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ruth
Better luck next year with your boysenberries. Ours didn't do all that well either - think they need more moisture.
Lovely to have the apples and raspberries though :-)

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ms Lottie
Yes same for me growing up (in England). Mum had to drive quite a way and then we walked for (seemingly) ages to get them!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ock du Spock

I was surprised just how many we picked actually :-)

Gollim said...

Wow blackberry jam one of my favs. Looks like you have been having good crops. Those with the shrivelled berries may have just had a case of dry berry. We have had it on some of our berries fungal disease :/

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Gollim
Yes, we have fruit gallore this year. Apples coming next!
Keeping busy busy busy.

BLD in MT said...

Oh, yum....what a great find!