Saturday, November 10, 2012

Passionfruit syrup cakes

I was sent this recipe* from G's aunt L (thanks L!) and tried it out today. I don't have mini loaf tins so I used friand tins instead. The recipe made 12 of them. Note: for the mini loaf size the recipe says it makes just 8.


1 cup SR flour
1 cup desiccated coconut (I had only thread)
1 cup caster sugar
125g butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
pulp of 2 passionfruit
2 Tbspns lime or lemon zest

Syrup**
1 cup water
 3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
pulp of 4 passionfruit (I omitted this)
1 Tbspn lime or lemon zest

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Grease tins. Combine flour, sugar, coconut in a large bowl. Add eggs, butter, passionfruit, milk, zest. Mix lightly until combined. Pour into tins. Bake for 15-20mins. Meanwhile make syrup. Combine all ingredients in pan, stir constantly over low heat to dissolve sugar, then raise heat and bring to boil. Boil for about 5mins until becomes syrupy. Pour over hot cakes while still in tin and leave to cool for about 10 mins. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.

The verdict, very nice light cakes. If you don't like the crunch of the passionfruit seeds, sieve the pulp before using.


* Unsure of the origin of the recipe it came out of a magazine.
** NOTE - I didn't use all of the syrup over the cakes as I had too much, just a few small spoonfuls over each one is sufficient. Maybe I didn't boil it long enough to reduce down. I leave it to your judgement!

7 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

We have NO passionfruit in our neck of the woods so would have to substitute another fruit. I'm thinking huckleberries and using a lemon syrup might work. I can only imagine what passionfruit tastes like (sigh).

Unknown said...

These look yummo Bridget. I love passionfruit and I don't mind the seeds. Sue

IsobelleGoLightly said...

Ooo! Ahhh! Yummy! We are going to try this and my lady had better give me some!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Sounds yummy! I love getting new recipes to try!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Mrs Mac, that's a shame re. no passionfruit. I have no idea what huckleberries taste like but they sound fantastic!

Hi Maa/Sue, lovely to hear from you, hope all's going OK x

Hi IsobelleGoLightly, I hope your lady shares them with you :-)

Hi Twisted Cinderalla, thanks for stopping by, hope you try the recipe :-)

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

Yum... bookmarking this to try later. I'll have to use the passionfruit syrup from the supermarket. I wonder if it would work with feijoas when they are in season? Hmmm...

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ruth, it would be interesting to try it with feijoas. Our trees are being attacked by bronze beetle so I hope we get a crop this year!

Not sure also how many passionfruit we will get this year but if I can I'll send you some - email me at cabbagetreefarm@vodafone.co.nz - seems a shame to have to buy that syrup!