Thursday, July 21, 2011

Banana cake recipes

I'm posting these recipes today because Laura over at Our Wee Farm has lots of lovely homegrown bananas to use up.

My favourite banana cake recipe is one by Jo Seagar (from her book Jo Seagar's NZ Country Cookbook).

125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup milk
2 cups SR flour
1/4 tsp salt

Mix butter and sugar, add vanilla, eggs, bananas and milk. Mix well, add flour and salt. Spoon into well-greased and lined ring tin. Bake 180deg C for about 35 mins. (if using a different shaped tin, i.e. square, the cake might take a bit longer to cook).

If you like, ice with lemon frosting: 2 cups icing sugar, 100g softened butter, grated zest of 2 lemons and a little hot water (about 2-3 Tbsp).

Also there is a fantastic recipe here for banana and coconut cake. Be aware though, it does make a very large cake, so you'll need a big tin. I used my ring tin and a loaf tin, and made 2 (one went in the freezer). I didn't make the frosting as I didn't have any cream cheese but would imagine it would be an excellent addition, especially for a special occasion.

6 comments:

Laura @ Our Wee Farm said...

thanks loads - they both sound lovely! I'll definitely give them a go and let you know how I get on. What's a ring tin ( Oh I am such a rubbish baker!!)

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi
A ring tin is round with a raised section which creates a hole in the middle. I use this tin as a preference as I find it harder to get the cake to cook properly in the middle when using a 'normal' tin!
Good luck with trying the recipes.

littlekarstar said...

Yum. Almost how I make too except I add coconut

Shaheen said...

Sounds lovley. With the weather being kinda sunny here, bananas have fallen off my shopping list - will have to wait a month or so before bananas and banana recipes start appearing. Liking the coconut addition though.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Mrs Bok, Hi Shaheen
Yes the coconut addition works well with the banana flavour.
I'm going to make this one today!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, banana coconut cake. That sounds evil, but, you know in that GOOD evil way that is delicious.