Sunday, February 20, 2011

Plum jam

Yesterday I made up a batch of plum jam. I bought the plums locally from a lady up the road who sells them by the roadside every summer. Sorry I didn't get a photo of plums prior to making the jam, but the skins and flesh were a deep purple colour.

Our trees are too young to produce fruit just yet, but I look forward to the day that they do!



I used the recipe out of my favourite cookbook, A New Zealand Country Harvest Cookbook, by Gilian Painter:



Lots of lovely plum jam
I think this recipe is particularly good as by counting the plums prior to cooking and then the stones as you boil up the jam, you can be confident that you won't crunch on a stone when you eat it!
The jam set very well and tastes delicious.

5 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

That tip has to be one of the best I've ever heard. Sooooo simple, you wonder why you didn't think of it!

Maria Stahl said...

Your jars are so pretty. I love those square ones. (I followed you home from Mrs. Mac's blog.)

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ms Lottie
Yes it is a wonder eh!

Hi Maria, welcome and thanks! They are mostly all recycled, the big ones at the back with the pattern are 'Roses' marmalade (English brand) and the square ones I think contained relish.

Killiecrankie Farm said...

what a wonderful gloss on your plum jam - i envy your skill at making it - always manage to burn mine.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Killiekrankie Farm

I think the trick to not burning it is to have a pan with a heavy base. And to watch it constantly!