Thursday, December 16, 2010

Making my first batch of soap

So as it was raining today and I was home by myself for a change, I took the opportunity to have a go at making some soap.
I used this Cold-pressed Castille Soap recipe. The only addition was some dried lavender flowers which I thought I would experiment with on one surface. I sprinkled these liberally in the base of 2 molds.
The only thing I hadn't really considered well was the use of the silicone loaf pan as a mold. It didn't keep it's shape when I poured in the soap. However, I'm hoping the silicone makes for easy release of the soap when it's ready to be cut into bars. I didn't use the other loaf tin as it was not required and I chose to use the silicone one instead..
This was a practice run before I try with the tallow I made recently (will post on that soon).
Here are a few photos:
The molds in readiness

Using the stick blender to combine oil and lye

The filled molds
I really enjoyed making the soap as I've been wanting to do it for a while now, the rainy weather certainly helped motivate me, but it also made it pleasantly cool to work. Of course I've still got to use it to see the results but from my initial attempt today I know soap making is going to feature frequently here at Cabbage Tree Farm.

6 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

Fun, huh?! I've been reading soap books and really interested in hearing how your tallow goes. Next time we kill a beast I'll be rendering like mad!

Mrs. Mac said...

It's been too long since I made any lye soap. I'll be interested in the tallow soap and how it turns out. I sometimes make a 'rebatch' of a few soap bars (by heating them up) and adding finely pulverized eggshells .. makes for a good hand cleaner after gardening.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ms Lottie
Yes it was fun. Will post some photos on how the soap looks out of the molds shortly.

Hi Mrs Mac
It was very quick really, like most things just a question of getting on with it! Helped having no-one else at home that's for sure (esp. my full of beans 3yr old!)
Thanks for the tip about egg shells. Having lots of eggs that won't be a problem. As it is, I usually dry mine in the oven, crush and give back to the chickens for the calcium.

Unknown said...

I've been considering making some myself. You have inspired me, clever girl! Maa.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Maa
I'm sure you'll be happy with the resulting soap. Look forward to reading how you get on.

Unknown said...

As soon as the family have left after Christmas, I'm going to give it a go! Maa.
Enjoy Christmas and I hope 2011 is good to you all. Maa.