Thursday, March 19, 2009

Shrewsbury biscuits


Were they originally baked in Shrewsbury, Shropshire in England? I have no idea. But they are a classic NZ biscuit, and this recipe is from the good old Edmond's cookbook. I have the 1974 edition so it's in emperial not metric!!


4 oz butter (113g)
40z caster sugar (113g)
1 egg
1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
8 oz plain flour (226g)
1 tsp baking powder
Raspberry jam to fill

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and lemon rind, mix well. Add sifted flour and baking powder. Knead, turn out onto lightly floured surface, roll out and cut into small rounds. Remove hole in centre of each alternative biscuit (I used an apple corer to do this). Bake at about 180 deg C for 10mins or until lightly golden brown.
When cold, sandwich together with jam.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Aren't those old Edmond Cookbooks brilliant? My edition is 1969 well used by my family. Shrewsbury Biscuits are over 500 years old here's a link for you
http://www.shropshirestar.com/2008/06/19/biscuits-add-bite-to-milestone-day/
I'll have to take a look at mine and see if the recipe is in there otherwise I'll use yours. I love the jam in the middle.

Hope everything is going well for you. Autumn is here and at last I have signs of life coming from out of the soil in my vegetable garden!

Liz

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Liz
Thanks for that. It seems the English version of the biscuit is a little different than ours, it doesn't have jam in and sometimes uses currants. Maybe the NZ recipe started off true to the original and then over the years it's changed! In any case we like them :-)
Glad your vegs are doing OK. I'm trying to build up some compost without providing too cosy a home for rats!
cheers
Bridget