Thursday, December 11, 2008

Then there were 7

I went down to feed the chicks this morning and counted them up. Only 7 there this morning.....one of the brown ones has gone, oh dear. Yesterday there were definitely 8. For the last couple of days I've been letting them out of their cage with mummy hen so they can free range with her in the coop. The coop is well fenced so I don't think that a stoat could have got in.. although we do see them around the farm. We've got stoat traps set up on the outside of the chicken wire fencing. As yet we've never caught any though.
Hmm, maybe a harrier swooped down and got the chick, probably more likely since they regularly scavenge in the area.
Today I've kept them inside their cage, as much as I like seeing the harriers gliding around I don't want to risk losing any more chicks. Will go down later and let them out for a bit but only while I'm around.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Sorry to hear you lost one Bridget. Cats eat them too. My cats have killed ten turkey chicks in the last week not that I mind but if it was little chickens a different matter. Hawks ferrets and stoats will take any opportunity to grab a baby. Possums eat them as well and rats too. Bummer. Hopefully your babies will all grow up without any more disappearing.

Take care
Liz

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Liz
We don't have cats and I haven't seen any strays about recently so I'm inclined to think it's more likely a stoat or hawk. Oh well, that's just the way it goes eh.

Dr Mum said...

I am sorry you lost your chicks aswell..do you guys have snakes at all
they gobbled some of ours in Mullumbimby....and Happy Christmas

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Dr Mum, no snakes in NZ (so far as we know..!). A couple of days ago we saw a hawk fly right down into the coop though, chased it away before it could get a chick. They sure are quick (the hawks that is).