Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lemon honey

Lemon curd, or honey as it is more commonly known in NZ, is one of my favourite things. And since we have an abundance of eggs at present, and G came home with a bag of lemons from a friend's tree, it seemed the right time to make a batch.



The best recipe I've found is this one by Allyson Gofton.

4 large eggs
pinch salt
125g unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
grated rind 4 lemons
1/2 cup lemon juice, strained

Beat eggs with pinch salt until smooth. Strain.
Place eggs, melted butter, sugar, lemon rind and juice into top of double saucepan.
Cook over simmering water stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
Pour into sterilised jars* and seal. I turn the jars over and sit them on their lids for 1 min to sterilise the lids.
Makes about 3 or 4 small jars (250-300g)

* I wash the jars in hot soapy water, drain and then put them in a low oven (140) for about 1/4 hr.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hi Brigitte Lovely recipe. My girls will love it!!

Liz